Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

Libr 203 Unit 5 - Personal Skills

I am one of those students who has strong computer skills in various programs, operating systems, and applications. I typically figure out and utilize new versions on my own as I do my work. For example, when my work computer was updated to Windows 7 and MS Office 2010, I didn't have time to ask where a feature was moved to; I had to find it, understand it, use it, and get my ILL work done. (As my ILL colleagues know, ILL demands wait for no one, especially in an academic institution.)

In retrospect, I believe my skills and abilities - considering abilities are different from skills - are the result of my exposure to various disciplines as I mentioned earlier in my bio. I use to think that a broad portfolio of skills and training wasn't good for career building, whereas a narrow skillset and specialized expertise was better. But now, in light of the "web revolution", greater experience in and exposure to etechonologies and different schools of knowledge are viewed as helpful tools for every professional, particularly the esavvy librarian (Stephen, 2007).   This desire to build strong computer competencies is evident through institutions such as San Diego Community College District (SDCCD) whose educational leadership sees the need to pre-assess their students with an "online learning readiness assessment" (SDCCD, 2009).

Another benefit gained is understanding that collaboration and teamwork are keys to an organization's success as Dr. Ken Haycock suggested in his presenation, Working in Teams (2007).  In particular, progressive library organizations function by this credo since people are the basis for their existence. But even more, the realization that individuals have their own skill sets, learning curve, and fears to overcome when diving into the social computing and etechonology sphere is crucial.  With all this said, I think student collaboration in an online learning environment helps those who may not yet "know or do" discover and build new skills and confidence in the every changing etechnology and web environments. Furthermore, this collaboration helps those that "do know" reinforce their skills, work better as teamplayers, and broaden their understanding of people's needs - a great skillset for librarians.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has done a little bit of this, and a little bit of that I have developed a variety of skills across disciplines, subjects, and work environments. I too, spent a great deal of time worrying that such diversity of knowledge, skills and abilities might make me seem a "Jack of All Trades and Master of None." Happily your varying experiences and knowledge will help you to stay at the vanguard of our profession!

    Considering your comfort with new technology I'd highly recommend you explore the Web development courses offered at SJSU. One of the most challenging (but highly rewarding) courses I have taken was Heather Ebey's 240 class Information Technology Tools and Applications. It is the sort of course that can be as challenging as you want it to be. She provides loads of opportunities to tackle more advanced concepts and ideas. Definitely worth adding to your ever-growing tool box of skills and talents!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I have a B.A. in linguistic studies, a minor in French language and culture, and a M.Ed. in educational leadership from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Prior to that, I earned a certificate in site development from the USAF. Currently, I'm pursuing a MLIS at San Jose State University. From my experiences, I discovered that knowledge of other disciplines is helpful in academics, the workplace, and life in general. With that in mind, I created this blog for a friendly venue for grad students to collaborate, share ideas, and gain incite from other students pursuing higher degrees in a friendly respectful online environment. I hope you sign on, read others' comments, and share your experiences and thoughts.