Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grad Students, Let's Talk Study Abroad

I was a late bloomer when I first studied abroad. I went to Egypt as a M.Ed. student attached to the UNLV MBA program. The experience was awesome; however, the regimen was somewhat oppressive for the more mature students including myself who were well accustomed to independent lives.  I used the experience for my research of Astin's theory of student involvement for grad students while enjoying a trip of a lifetime - Giza, Sphinx, Valley of King, Nile cruise, etc.

Have any of you studied abroad as grad students? If so, tell us about your experience. Was it helpful to your grad studies or was it a vacation with likeminded folks under the auspices of your institution? If you went as an undergrad, how did this experience compare? And if you are thinking about going, what are your expectations, concerns, apprehensions? Share your responses to these questions or any thoughts on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. Claire,

    I couldn't imagine having the opportunity to experience Egypt. I really regret not taking advantage of the study abroad opportunities that were available to me as an undergrad.

    While an opportunity to live and learn in a foreign country sounds appealing, Im not sure how easily I would adapt to the structure these programs entail. So for me, I sadly think I will just stick with vacationing and daydreaming!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,

    I had the same sentiments about adapting to unfamiliar cultures too. I think a great way to ease ones way into the experience is to take short summer study abroad excursions. It provides a great vacation and learning experience all in one before the personal comfort zone is tried to the limit. Usually, these excursions are in 3, 6, or 12 week durations. Maybe, a mini-excursion would interest you.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I have a B.A. in linguistic studies, a minor in French language and culture, and a M.Ed. in educational leadership from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Prior to that, I earned a certificate in site development from the USAF. Currently, I'm pursuing a MLIS at San Jose State University. From my experiences, I discovered that knowledge of other disciplines is helpful in academics, the workplace, and life in general. With that in mind, I created this blog for a friendly venue for grad students to collaborate, share ideas, and gain incite from other students pursuing higher degrees in a friendly respectful online environment. I hope you sign on, read others' comments, and share your experiences and thoughts.